André Allen Anjos’s Remix Artist Collective came on our radar last spring with some inspired Bloc Party and Tokyo Police Club remixes. We’ve kept an ear on the 23-year-old Portuguese artist ever since, and late last year cooked up with André the idea of compiling previously unreleased remixes to celebrate RAC’s first year. Today we bring you that mix, titled Stereogum Presents… RAC Vol. 1, as a free 9-track MP3 download and embeddable flash player. Here’s the tracklist:
1. Bloc Party – Helicopter (Intro)
2. Bloc Party – Hunting For Witches (RAC Mix) (extended)
3. Au Revoir Simone – Sad Song (RAC Mix)
4. Tokyo Police Club – Nature Of The Experiment (RAC Mix)
5. Ra Ra Riot – Manner To Act (RAC Mix)
6. Robbers On High Street – Across Your Knee (RAC Mix)
7. You Say Party! We Say Die! – Like I Give A Care (RAC Mix)
8. Femme Generation – Orlando Boom (RAC Mix)
9. Chromeo – Fancy Footwork (RAC Mix)
Two of those have appeared online before, but they’ve been extended and changed. The rest are new to you. André’s remixes are not meant for clubs, but that doesn’t mean you can’t dance to them.
One of the main reasons I started RAC was out of frustration with the current remix scene. I was just plain bored with the lack of variety at the time. Things have definitely come along just in the past year or so with more and more bands remixing each others songs. I strive to create remixes for music lovers who want to hear the song re-invented, not just re-interpreted and chopped up. I hope people experience the original songs in a different way that not only complements the original, but takes them somewhere else.
The idea behind RAC Vol 1 was simply to celebrate that idea by compiling songs that we felt should flow together, and just like most DJs create an in-depth organic mixtape of sorts without the need to stick to particular genre. I love all of the bands included and it’s probably the only “mix” on which you’d hear both Robbers On High Street and Chromeo. One of the main criteria when choosing the bands was the variety intended, but above all, the quality of the original songs. Many artists have remix albums that are simply collections of past work, but this one was built up from the start for this purpose.
-André Allen Anjos (above photo by Jon Duenas)
Embed this player on your website with the following code:
<object height="200" width="300"><param name="movie"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="200"
- Bloc Party – “Helicopter (Intro) (RAC Mix)”Download
- Bloc Party – “Hunting For Witches (RAC Mix)”Download
- Au Revoir Simone – “Sad Song (RAC Mix)”Download
- Tokyo Police Club – “Nature Of The Experiment (RAC Mix)”Download
- Ra Ra Riot – “Manner To Act (RAC Mix)”Download
- Robbers On High Street – “Across Your Knee (RAC Mix)”Download
- You Say Party! We Say Die! – “Like I Give A Care (RAC Mix)”Download
- Femme Generation – “Orlando Boom (RAC Mix)”Download
- Chromeo – “Fancy Footwork (RAC Mix)”Download
Or: ZIP FILE
To J3 and Akutou for the artwork. To all the bands and labels who allowed their work to be remixed and presented here for free. Most of all to André Allen Anjos, who put this whole thing together just for Stereogum readers. He will be touring soon with his band The Pragmatic, and you can check out their MySpace here. Now taking requests for Vol. 2…