I don’t think I’ve done this before, but there’s a lyric video on this list. Its presence will probably annoy you. But if you think you can make a better lyric video, go ahead. Please. This week’s picks are below.
5. Katy Perry – “This Is How We Do” (Dir. IKYWTrouble)
Those fonts! Those ’80s video-arcade graphics! Those letters flying through space! But seriously, those fonts!
4. The Drums – “Magic Mountain” (Dir. The Drums)
The Drums become a much better band when you imagine that they’re sad knights with fireball-throwing powers, trapped in a French New Wave movie.
3. Basement Jaxx – “Never Say Never” (Feat. ETML) (NSFW-ish) (Dir. Saman Kesh)
If we knew that twerking was so vital to humanity’s survival, maybe we all wouldn’t have been so hard on Miley Cyrus for that VMAs performance last year.
2. Erlend Øye – “Garota” (Dir. Michael Beech)
A charming little love story, and also a chance to see what Seoul looks like from the perspective of something other than a K-pop video or a terrifyingly bloody thriller. (Have you seen I Saw The Devil? It will make you not want to go to Korea.)
1. Spoon – “Do You” (Dir. Hiro Murai)
Somewhere, M. Night Shyamalan is kicking himself, wishing he’d come up with this particular surprise-ending reveal.