It can’t be easy to get your head around the idea that so many of the people who came to see your band one night were killed for it. And Eagles Of Death Metal frontman Jesse Hughes appears to be publicly wrestling with the aftermath of last year’s horrific Paris terrorist attack, in which gunmen killed 89 people at an EODM show at the Bataclan.
Not long ago, Hughes suggested that French gun control laws were partly to blame for the massacre. And now, in a new interview with Fox Business Network’s Lisa “Kennedy” Montgomery, Hughes is putting forth the idea that at least some of the Bataclan’s security guards were in on the attack.
News.Com.Au has shared a short video from the interview, in which Hughes notes that some of the venue’s security guards didn’t show up on the night of the show. Here’s what he says:
When I first got to the venue and walked in, I walked past the dude who was supposed to be the security guard for the backstage. He didn’t even look at me. I immediately went to the promoter and said, “Who’s that guy? I want to put another dude on.” He said, “Well, some of the other guards aren’t here yet.” And eventually, I found out that six or so wouldn’t show up at all… Out of respect for the police still investigating, I won’t make a definite statement, but I’ll say that it seems like they had a reason not to show up.
The second part of the interview will air tonight at 8 eastern on the Fox Business Network. You can watch a portion below.
UPDATE: As Variety reports, a rep for the Bataclan has hit back at Hughes, calling his insinuations “insane”:
Jesse Hughes spread some very grave and defamatory accusations against the Bataclan teams. A judicial investigation is undergoing. We wish to let justice proceed serenely. All the testimonies gathered to this day demonstrate the professionalism and courage of the security agents who were on the ground on November 13. Hundreds of people were saved thanks to [these agents’] intervention.
UPDATE 2: Hughes has apologized with this statement…
“I humbly beg forgiveness from the people of France, the staff and security of the Bataclan, my fans, family, friends and anyone else hurt or offended by the absurd accusations I made in my Fox Business Channel interview. My suggestions that anyone affiliated with the Bataclan played a role in the events of November 13 are unfounded and baseless—and I take full responsibility for them. They do not reflect opinions of my bandmates or anyone associated with Eagles of Death Metal. The shame is 100% mine. I’ve been dealing with non-stop nightmares and struggling through therapy to make sense of this tragedy and insanity. I haven’t been myself since November 13. I realize there’s no excuse for my words, but for what it’s worth: I am sincerely sorry for having hurt, disrespected or accused anyone.”