40% of this week’s videos are on the list entirely because of the sketch-comedy chops of Gucci Mane. If he does not host Saturday Night Live at some point in 2017, somebody’s fucking up. This week’s picks are below.
5. Red Hot Chili Peppers – “Sick Love” (Dir. Beth Jeans Houghton)
I’ve never been to Los Angeles. Is it really like this? Anthony Kiedis running around fucking a giant spider and shit? Honestly, I’m going to be disappointed if I finally get there and it’s not like this.
4. Atmosphere – “A Long Hello” (Dir. Dan Monick & Vanessa Smith)
I don’t know what it means — Slug’s lonely walk on the beach with a cardboard cut-out tucked under his arm — but there’s a real melancholy beauty to it, especially in those final moments where the camera flies up above him.
3. Rick Ross – “Buy Back The Block” (Feat. 2 Chainz & Gucci Mane) (Dir. Ryan Snyder)
The second half of this — the actual rap-video half — is just fine. Pretty good rap video. But the first half, with Ross and Gucci as car-wash employees busting on each other and trying to figure out how to get ahead, is where this one really comes alive.
2. Gucci Mane – “St. Brick Intro” (Dir. Eif Rivera)
I’m both sad and relieved that Gucci and Rivera did not cast a little person as a horny elf in this video. Because this is definitely a horny elf kind of video.
1. Austra – “Future Politics” (Dir. Allie Avital)
A lyrical, beautifully shot take on a very old music video idea. Which is: What if all these uptight people got out of their business clothes and just, like, danced and chilled?