U2’s second best album turns 20 this year, and like Nevermind it’ll be rereleased with lots of goodies for the super fan. Earlier this summer, the Edge told Rolling Stone “There’s some very interesting alternative versions that we discovered of songs that wouldn’t have seen the light of day, alternative lyrics, different arrangement styles — it’s like Achtung Baby out of focus.” So naturally the most expensive edition comes with a pair of glasses:
1. A limited, numbered Uber Deluxe Edition is a magnetic puzzle tiled box which will contain: 6 CDs including the original Achtung Baby album, the follow-up album, Zooropa, B-sides, remixes and re-workings of previously unheard material recorded during the Achtung Baby sessions. 4 DVDs including From The Sky Down, Zoo TV: Live From Sydney, all the videos from Achtung Baby plus bonus material. There will also be the Achtung Baby double vinyl album plus 5 clear 7″ vinyl singles in their original sleeves, 16 art prints taken from the original album sleeve, an 84-page hardback book, a copy of Propaganda magazine, 4 badges, a sticker sheet, and a pair of Bono’s trademark ‘The Fly’ sunglasses.
2. The Super Deluxe Edition will contain the 6CDs and 4 DVDs, in addition to a 92 page hardback book and 16 art prints in a wallet.
3. The Vinyl Box Set is a limited release containing 4 LPs, two of which are pressed on translucent blue vinyl containing remixes and B-sides. The box includes a 16 page booklet.
4. The Deluxe Edition is a 2xCD set containing the reissue of the original album plus B-sides and rarities.
5. The Standard CD is the original album.
No tuning forks?
Prices are not yet available. The UK pre-order lists the ‘Uber’ edition for £385.99 ($629). Keep an eye on achtungbaby.u2.com for tracklist. The anniversary editions are scheduled for release 10/31.
Side-note: Zooropa is underrated…