Find Me On:
2010 & 2011 were amazing!
I think the title should be: ‘Sony, Warner & Universal have decided guitars suck, so let’s suck it all together’
is PBR&B the new new new metal?
it’s not the singer, it’s the song! (shivers)
Porcelain Raft’s “Unless you speak from your heart” was released at the beginning of the year and it’s been kinda forgotten everywhere, and again in this one :( It was probably the first song to shock me this year, and some days later it became “Best New Track”. The album is really good too!
or The Knife or.. you know, we could start like this and probably find traces of Vivaldi, Beethoven or the A-Team theme
I agree with you in the comparison and I actually like most of the bands you’ve mentioned A.J., including the Arctic Monkeys though. But I also find for instance, that Grimes sounds a bit like Lykke Li, which she supported in tours, and I love the Swedish singer. Can’t say the same about Grimes..
haha it’s true! I also was going to include that question too, but I wrote too many before..
Not really. I tend to focus too much on musicality, so that’s why I also asked about the lyrics-thing as well. Glad someone answered my question instead of just downvoting, which I expected to be as it’s being. No hard feelings!
I do like, own and dance it too! But, again it’s a hip-hop list, so I consider there should be other songs that had more to do with it.. Hip-hop was about streets, graffiti, breakdance.. it’s “The message” for me
Also am I the only one who don’t understand this new trend of liking Kanye West, Kendrick Lamar, Lil’Wayne and also new R&B like Frank Ocean and Timbaland influenced bands? Am I getting old? What do you see in there?? Flow?? Lyrics?? Beats?? I see nothing :_(
“in my opinion it could be better”
Some things I’d wished to see there:
- KRS-One, besides BDP is a key figure. e.g. easy pick: the sound of da police
- More DJ Premier-produced stuff: Gang Starr, Afu-Ra – Defeat, Group Home, Nas – Nas is like, Rakim – When I B on the Mic…
- Any underground act.. Dilated Peoples, Jedi Mind Tricks, Non Phixion or Cunninlynguists made gems
- Less Jay-Z, 2Pac and P.Diddy-likes.. and “Rapper’s delight” lower. It’s a HIP-HOP list
I almost die when I saw the picture. List ain’t too bad but, in my opinion, better. But.. Noreaga’s “Superthug”, really? I always hated most of the Neptunes’ prods, so i’m kinda biased there…
Baio’s remix is off the hook! Also check out Korallreven’s remix for this! This is IMO one of those “remix is better”-case
Zapp – More Bounce To The Ounce!
Anyways I like/respect most of the picks and I don’t understand some of them. But well again.. that is a list. Personal.
“April Skies” over “Just Like Honey” :S
I’m sure this was made by someone born in the 80s (I am) and under a “pop” (of popular) perspective. That said, contributors on NME working during that era would probably dismiss at least a quarter of this list… Because where is…
- Anything from Sarah Records??? Ok, that wasn’t that popular, but still a bit of history doesn’t harm anyone. e.g. The Field Mice – Emma’s House
- Violent Femmes – Blister in the sun?? (or what else on that album). Guys, perhaps it’s too much to ask for Camper van Beethoven, The Replacements, Minutemen or Husker Dü..
- The Go-Betweens? Well, these Australians lived in London for a while, didn’t they?
- XTC – “Senses Working Overtime” or my fav “Sgt. Rock”…
- Misfits was a band before a TV show. Dismissing Hardcore can be understandable from a “pop” perspective but “Last caress”, musically, ain’t that “extreme”…
I feel like a chav after reading the list of albums. I feel like a snob after reading the list of singles
definitely!! it was difficult for me to pick just one.. same with the Pixies
yes.. well.. maybe not
Telekinesis – Palm of your hand
Neon Indian – Laughing gas
Jay Reatard – It’s so easy
Olivia Tremor Control – Jumping Fences
Pixies – Something against you / Allison
Frankie Rose is so cool saying she’s never listened to them. I’m going to toilet..