But I can still remember that Shields and good kid, m.a.a.d. city had become last year’s AOTW as well in spite of their Premature Evals.
Let’s do a “Counting Down: The Postal Service Worst to Best Albums”! Haha!
Hey, this is a cool list! I would have probably replaced Unison with It’s Not Up to You and It’s in Our Hands with Play Dead in my personal ranking. And Cosmogony (from Biophilia) would have been at 11.. Otherwise it’s a nearly perfect list.
When you include Telegram, you shouldn’t forget last year’s other remix albumBastards either. In for a penny, in for a pound.
“…this motherfucker is crazy long.”
That’s what Marnie Stern would say at her “Album Release Date” date.
*Dawn Richard’s – not to be confused with Denise Richards…
Another album of note that came out yesterday was Dawn Richards “Goldenheart”. Unfortunately, it’s not as decently unconventional (by R’n'B standards) as her previous two EPs.
No other instrument suits Flying Lotus more than this new one. At least they could have named it after him: Flotus.
Looks and sounds like another totally MTV-compatible Foster the People video…
Nah, Thom Yorke’s Lotus Flower dance was much better!
No one has mentioned Lonesome Tears (from Sea Change) yet. It’s underappreciated perfection!
I wasn’t really surprised by the predominance of lo-fi/folk-ish songs and the omission of Vultures/Guero songs on this list since I’ve read the name of the author…also known as the singer/songwriter/musician Wooden Wand.
The meaning of “fun” has changed since “We Are Young” came along.
Who is this ominous writer Bylan Cohen, anyway?
It’s cold outside in Germany, too, that’s why I’m listening to the new Toro Y Moi album via P4K Advance. It’s not only extremely good but also keeps my body warm because it makes me want to shake my booty all the time. The D in Vitamin D stands for DANCE!
What a good idea! My 10 favourite Justin Timberlake songs are:
2. Cry Me a River
3. My Love
5. (Another Song) All Over Again
6. Boutique in Heaven
7. Last Night
8. Rock Your Body
9. Like I Love You
10. Suit & Tie
And maybe 11. Dick in a Box
Rahbrrt Kahtinn and copy_paster_cat seem to be the new it-couple of the trolliverse.
…said the deeply insulted editor-in-chief of MOJO.
copy_paster_cat reminds me of those good ol’ times when theduchessofthomyorke was trolling around. My crystal ball is telling me that he/she will also start a indie music blog soon where he/she can vent his/her anger (or at least his/her own opinion), will rename himself/herself and will get a better-adjusted person.
Only if for a blackSUMMERS’night (2013), Maxwell!
Swedish House Mafia? Not that I cared a lot for this DJ boygroup, but…
In terms of loudness, I would categorize the aforementioned Japandroids, the Men, Cloud Nothings, METZ, Screaming Females et al. Scene rather as “Indie HARD Rock” than as “Indie Rock” (The Walkmen).
New suggestions: Interpol? Wild Beasts?
Otherwise: Since Pitchfork and I loved Dawn Richard’s surprisingly good Armor on EP this year, I’m looking forward to her solo debut LP.
1) Grizzly Bear – Shields (C’mon, P4K, only #10?)
2) Frank Ocean – Channel Orange
3) Menomena – Moms (UNDERRATED!)
4) Killer Mike – R.A.P. Music
5) Xiu Xiu – Always (UNDERRATED!)
6) Grimes – Visions
7) Miguel – Kaleidoscope Dream
8) Dr. Dog – Be the Void (UNDERRATED!)
9) Kendrick Lamar – Good Kid, m.A.A.d City
10) Crystal Castles – (III)
Honorable mentions of somewhat underrated records: albums from Hot Chip, Deerhoof, Mac DeMarco, Laurel Halo, Cat Power, Dan Deacon, Yeasayer, Alicia Keys (no, really), Kimbra and Perfume Genius (of course).
1) Grizzly Bear – Sleeping Ute
2) Frank Ocean – Pyramids
3) Grimes – Circumambient
4) Dr. Dog – Do the Trick (absolutely charming!)
5) Beach House – Myth
6) Bobby Womack – Please Forgive My Heart
7) Dirty Projectors – Gun Has No Trigger
8) Kimbra – Cameo Lover (absolutely charming!)
9) Twin Shadow – Five Seconds
10) Fiona Apple – Dull Tool (no, really!)
1) Sigur Rós – Valtari (stunningly beautiful)
2) Chairlift – Met Before (great interactive concept!)
3) Father John Misty – Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings (loved Aubrey Plaza and the man-smooch)
4) M.I.A. – Bad Girls
5) Get Well Soon – Roland, I Feel You (German musician)
6) Jack White – Sixteen Saltines
7) Fiona Apple – Every Single Night (without all these disgusting snails)
8) Björk – Mutual Core
9) Drake – HYFR
10) The Shins – Simple Song