Watch Kanye On Jimmy Kimmel Live!
Wednesday night we bore witness to the great Kimmel/West debate of 2013. Thirteen days after Keezus broadcast a parody of Yeezus’ BBC interview that sent the rapper into one of his patented Twitter tirades, Mr. West, rocking Ralph Lauren and his three-year-old grill, stopped by the talk show host’s late-night program to talk it out.
Kimmel brought along The Complete Rhyming Dictionary, but no Scribble Jam battle broke out. It was relatively cordial, actually, thanks to Kimmel dispensing hearty helpings of protective politeness (along with the baby-sized leather jogging pants he presented as a gift for baby North) and giving Kanye space to launch into another passionate ramble worthy of his Zane Lowe interview. Kanye voiced his opinions on everything from the Hollywood Walk Of Fame (his lady Kim K should have a star, obviously) to classism (he’s not fond of old money vs. new money snobbery). He talked for so long, in fact, that Kimmel’s musical guest, Arctic Monkeys, didn’t get to perform and will have to be rescheduled.
Some choice Kanye quotes from the interview:
- On what was going through his head when he attacked Kimmel on Twitter: “This is the one person I know, so I can go and let out everything that I feel about every single bogus weekly cover, every single bogus skit, every single rumor in barbershop, everything that people feel is OK to treat celebrities like zoo animals or act like what they’re saying is not serious or their life is not serious or their dreams are not serious.”
- On whether he really thinks Kimmel looks like Spongebob: “It was the first thing that came to my mind.”
- On his relationship with the press: “Media does everything they can to break creatives, and I do everything I can to break media.”
- On his frequent self-appreciation: “If I said I wasn’t a genius, I would just be lying to you and to myself.”
- On fans and gawkers who approach him in public places: “It’s not safe for you in this zoo. Don’t think for a second that I’m not from Chicago.”
Watch the full interview below.