This year marked the 20th anniversary of Britpop, so it’s good timing that Oasis have been gradually reissuing their albums with lavish box sets. Earlier this year we gave away the set for Definitely Maybe (which itself turned 20 last month) and now we’re doing the same for the new limited edition “super deluxe” box set of (What’s The Story) Morning Glory?. The release is out 9/30 via Big Brother and would normally run you $179.99 before shipping. If you’re wondering why it has such a steep asking price that’s because of the treasure trove of stuff it comes with. Check out the release details and instructions on how to win below.
(What’s The Story) Morning Glory?, the follow-up to debut album Definitely Maybe, is Oasis’s biggest-selling album with 22 million copies sold worldwide. It was recorded between May and June 1995 in Rockfield Studios, Monmouthshire, with Owen Morris and Noel Gallagher producing. Released on October 2nd 1995 it spent 10 weeks at No.1, is the 5th biggest-selling album in UK chart history and became the band’s breakthrough album in the US where it sold 4 million copies. The new edition has been remastered from the original tapes by Ian Cooper at London’s Metropolis Studios, supervised by the album’s producer Owen Morris. A small army of contributors including original members of the inner circle who were involved in studio and live recordings came together to hunt down unheard demos and live material. The team also unearthed a wealth of never-seen-before photos and vintage memorabilia which will be included in the new artwork.
• Collectors Coffee Table Book – This beautiful 56 page hardback book contains rare and unseen photographs documenting the (What’s The Story) Morning Glory? period by Stefan Batselier, Brian Cannon, Kevin Cummings, Grant Fleming, Jill Furmanovsky, Owen Morris, Tom Sheehan – plus private photos taken by the inner circle. Original artwork designer Brian Cannon explains the story behind each single cover art and sleeve notes are written by Neil McCormick.
• 7 inch Vinyl – This 7 inch vinyl includes demos of “Hello” and “She’s Electric,” both of which were recorded in Definitely Maybe producer Mark Coyle’s studio. The “Hello” (Demo) track is exclusive to the box set.
• 12 Inch Vinyl – This 12 inch vinyl is a replica of the original promotional 12 inch, sent to industry contacts as a promotional item in 1995. Tracklisting features A side “Cum on Feel The Noize” and B side “Champagne Supernova (Lynch Mob Beats Remix),” which has never been commercially available
• Cassette – Exact replica of the original promotional copy of (What’s The Story) Morning Glory? This rare cassette, only sent out to industry contacts, has never been commercially available. It includes “Step Out” which was removed from the album prior to its release
• “Roll With It” Cigarette Papers- These rolling papers were an original 1996 promotional item. They have been replicated solely for the box set and feature the lyrics for “Roll With It” printed on the back.
• 180 gram double 12 Inch Vinyl in gatefold sleeve – Heavyweight vinyl of (What’s The Story) Morning Glory? album, meticulously remastered from the original 1995 half inch tapes. Includes download code for B sides, plus unreleased and rare tracks including demos and live recordings.
• Deluxe 3 x CD Album – (What’s The Story) Morning Glory? deluxe CD, meticulously remastered with B sides, plus unreleased and rare tracks including demos and live recordings.
• Postcards & Art Card Set – 3 photograph postcards and a 12 x 12 inch art card
To enter this sweepstakes, you must be a fan of Stereogum on Facebook and comment below with your favorite Oasis song (from any album) via Facebook Connect login (do not use your ‘Gum user account on this post — we’ll have to be able to check if you are a fan of Stereogum on FB when the sweepstakes ends). Winner will be chosen randomly. Sweepstakes ends on 9/26 at 6PM EST. Good luck!