I’m sorry, guys, but I think the new Björk video is pretty boring. I was all set to love it, but I don’t love it. It’s not on this list. There were plenty of better videos that came along in the past week, and five of them are below.
5. Bobby Brackins – “My Jam” (Feat. Zendaya & Jeremih) (Dir. Damien Sandoval)
San Juan looks nice.
4. Mike Will Made-It – “Choppin’ Blades” (Feat. Riff Raff & Slim Jxmmi) (Dir. Motion Family)
Riff Raff has basically forgotten to rap ever since he transformed himself into a cartoonish musclebeast. Somehow, though, he’s a better sketch comic than he’s ever been before.
3. Mitski – “Townie” (NSFW-ish) (Dir. Faye Orlove)
A weirdly compelling vision of societally-mandated femininity with a visual sensibility all its own.
2. Carly Rae Jepsen – “I Really Like You” (Dir. Peter Glanz)
Tom Hanks has long been devoted to the idea of the perfect, crystalline pop song; he made a whole movie about it. Here, he really proves his commitment.
1. Grimes – “REALiTi” (Dir. Grimes)
Being Grimes looks like fun. And how many other artists could take the beyond-tired having-fun-on-tour conceit, direct it themselves, and make it anywhere near this visually compelling? My count: zero. Just the use of light alone is a thing of beauty.