One Grand is a new bookstore/installation created by Out editor Aaron Hicklin, the idea behind it being that it only sells books that various creative/intellectual types — writers, musicians, etc. — list among the 10 books they’d bring to a desert island. Sleater-Kinney and Portlandia’s Carrie Brownstein is one such creative/intellectual type, and she already shared her picks. The latest tastemaker to be featured is R.E.M.’s Michael Stipe, who revealed his choices to The New York Times’ T Magazine, along with some brief commentary on each. Check them out below.
• Complete Works by Arthur Rimbaud
• On The Road by Jack Kerouac
• Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delaney
• Breakfast Of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut
• All Families Are Psychotic by Douglas Coupland
• Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
• Play It As It Lays by Joan Didion
• Four Plays by Aristophanes translated by William Arrowsmith
• Bonjour Tristesse by Françoise Sagan
• Just Kids by Patti Smith
Read what Stipe has to say about all of them here.