Alt-country fans will dig this comp, which includes new tunes from Tom Petty (nice mandolin, man), MMJ (they’re in the movie) and Lindsey Buckingham (I think his first studio track in 13 years).
The flick may be receiving underwhelming buzz, but C. Cro’s come through with an A+ (okay, B+) soundtrack. Even wife Nancy’s Town Theme is sweet. And again Cameron’s dusted off classic Elton to remind us the Vegas showman wasn’t always a sappy diva.
One gripe: the syrupy 2003 mix of Wheat’s “Don’t I Hold You” instead of the superior version off Hope and Adams.
01. 60B (Elizbethown Theme) – Nancy Wilson
02. It’ll All Work Out – Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
03. My Father’s Gun – Elton John
04. io (This Time Around) – Helen Stellar
05. Come Pick Me Up – Ryan Adams
06. Where to Begin – My Morning Jacket
07. Long Ride Home – Patty Griffin
08. Sugar Blue – Jeff Finlin
09. Don’t I Hold You – Wheat
10. Shut Us Down – Lindsey Buckingham
11. Let It Out (Let it All Hang Out) ? The Hombres
12. Hard Times – eastmountainsouth
13. Jesus Was a Crossmaker – The Hollies
14. Square One – Tom Petty
15. Same in Any Language – I Nine
Stream here. In stores tomorrow.
Here’s ETown co-star Kiki Dunst rockin’ a fetching bib: