All of the music videos on this week’s list come from women or, in one case, a band with one man in it. I don’t know what this means, exactly, but step your music-visual game up, people with dicks. This week’s picks are below.
5. White Lung – “Below” (Dir. Richard Bates Jr.)
It’s been a couple of years since I’ve seen White Lung live. Apparently, their shows have gotten really different.
4. Azealia Banks – “The Big Big Beat” (Dir. Matt Sukkar)
I am very happy to believe that this is what Azealia Banks does on the days when she has to appear in court.
3. Florence + The Machine – “Third Eye” (Dir. Vincent Haycock)
Some of us are still easy marks for long tracking shots, especially when those shots involve both choreography and fire. (And yes, I know there are some artfully hidden cuts in there. Still counts.)
2. Charli XCX – “Vroom Vroom” (Dir. Bradley & Pablo)
I’m not especially into Charli XCX’s PC Music experimental-pop phase, but if she turns into a beach-party cyborg in every video, that could change.
1. Beyoncé – Lemonade (yes, the whole thing) (Dir. Beyoncé & Kahlil Joseph)
I have so much envy for teenagers who will grow up smoking weed and watching this instead of The Wall or whatever.
[Just buy the album or get Tidal. Stop being cheap.]