We’re all just waiting around for the Frank Ocean album to finally emerge, right? So let’s watch some videos.
5. Kanye West – “Wolves” (Feat. Vic Mensa & Sia) (Dir. Steven Klein)
It’s overlong and deeply pretentious and kind of boring, and I’m also disappointed that Kanye missed a golden opportunity to turn himself into a werewolf in a video. But it’s also really, really pretty, and in a slow week, that’s enough to get you onto this list.
4. Psychic Ills – “Another Change” (Dir. Jason Evans)
I know a music video is good when it has me briefly convinced that I could maybe pull off a cowboy hat.
3. Alexandre Chatelard – “Lenny Kravitz” (NSFW) (Dir. Allen & Smithee)
Quite possibly the single most European thing I have ever seen.
2. YG – “Word Is Bond” (Feat. Slim 400) (Dir. 2Tone)
The whole joke with the subtitles is unnecessary, but “rappers in Tokyo” remains one of the all-time great music-video subgenres.
1. Massive Attack – “Come Near Me” (Feat. Ghostpoet) (Dir. Ed Morris)
A stark, intense visual poem that has all sorts of possible readings, most of them about maleness as a force for destructive intimidation. It’ll stick with you.