It’s almost been six months since What Made Milwaukee Famous played Stereogum’s SXSW party. Initially, we had our doubts about booking a band named after Schlitz. Turns out WMMF is actually an old Glenn Sutton song title, and fortunately these guys rocked much harder than Glenn Sutton (we imagine). The Texan quintet won over SXSW with their literate, Spoon-y indie rock and now they live among gods at Barsuk. But we still have silly photos from Before They Were Famous.
At least one of them’s excited to be there!
Vocalist/guitarist Michael was even kind enough to sit for a round of Stereogum’s Inside The Rockers Studio. Here’s what he had to say:
MICHAEL KINGCAID, WMMF
1. What is your favorite word?
2. What is your least favorite word?
3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
DISSOCIATION FROM EXPECTATIONS
4. What turns you off?
PEOPLPE WHO ARE JUDGMENTAL ON THE BASIS THAT THEY THINK THEY ACTUALLY KNOW JACK SHIT ABOUT THE WORLD
5. What is your favorite curse word?
FUCK (THOUGH I WISH I COULD WASH MY MOUTH OF IT)
6. What sound or noise do you love?
THE CALL OF THE QUAIL. BUT NOT FOR THE LOVE OF CAMOUFLAGE OR RIFLES.
7. What sound or noise do you hate?
8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
3RD BASE – SAN DIEGO PADRES
9. What profession would you not like to do?
TEACHER, OR ANY OTHER PROFESSION THAT LACKS ITS JUSTIFIED COMPENSATION.
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
“I’M GLAD THAT I DIDN’T TAKE YOU OUT OF THE GAME WHEN YOU GAVE ME THE CHANCE(S).”
Stream the band’s recently released/remastered/rejiggered debut Trying to Never Catch Up at AOL Music.