The gorgeous record Deserters Songs may be how a larger audience came to know Mercury Rev in ’98, but the band has been a neo-psych pop forerunner since Yerself Is Steam. And to celebrate the fifteenth anniversary of their first release, the band is putting out the double-disc career retrospective The Essential Mercury Rev – Stillness Breathes (1991 – 2006), commemorating six albums of incredible output. Disc One comprises the songs and singles, Disc Two is all about the rarities (covers, demos, etc). You can hear the entire collection here, and if the spirit moves ya, buy that sucker right here.
That’s good stuff and makes for a great gift, but this shit is what we’re going nuts over: Mercury Rev has a One Night Only engagement at Irving Plaza on 11/30! Not to be missed. Get yer tix here.
And below you’ll find Jonathan’s brutally honest responses to our favorite ten questions to ask. Also, please note that he is our first rocker to add an 11th question! We’ve consulted with Bernard Pivot, and he’ll allow it!
JONATHAN DONAHUE, MERCURY REV
1. What is your favorite word?
2. What is your least favorite word?
3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
FAILURE, FOLLOWED QUICKLY BY LAUGHTER
4. What turns you off?
5. What is your favorite curse word?
6. What sound or noise do you love?
THE SOUNDS OF A DOG OR CAT DREAMING
7. What sound or noise do you hate?
8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
BEING A PROFESSIONAL ‘JONATHAN DONAHUE’ IMPERSONATOR
9. What profession would you not like to do?
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
“YOU’RE NOT ON THE LIST…”
11. What would you like written on your tombstone?
R.I.P. RESEARCH IN PROGRESS