Anybody heard anything about that new film that came out this past weekend? You know, the one with the jaundiced, four-fingered wisecrackers? Samp-something. The Stimfields? We remember digging it back in the mid-’90s, and by digging we mean: memorizing and quoting extensively, excessively, and with mind-numbing predictability. But don’t blame us, we voted for Kodos! Then South Park, Family Guy, and the Adult Swim team came along and we kind of lost track of Homer et al.
A quick bit of youtube-facilitated catchup showed that the Simpsons can still bring it. Maybe it’s not as good as it was when Conan was prowling the writers’ room, but it’s still infinitely funnier than Two And A Half Men. And now the movie is getting a nice warm buzz. By most accounts it does the series proud, no mean feat for a show that predates Nevermind by (almost) two full years. Confirm or deny? We thought we’d let the first wave die down and check it out this weekend.
In the meantime the media scrum has moved on, and we’re feeling a bit left out. We tried to use the Simpsons avatar-generator (at simpsonsmovie.com) to mock up some of our favorite indie rockers (Free time? Yes, why do you ask?), but it proved beyond our meager artistic talents.
We were going for Franz from the Hold Steady, but we ended up with the guy from Costingtons. Sorry Franz! If any of you have any better luck with, say, your Groening-ified Morrissey avatar, by all means post in the comments.
But because we’re fans, we thought we had to come up with something. So, at the risk of taking a running jump into an empty swimming pool, we came up with a little splash of Simpsons music-related trivia to help ease you through these (relatively) hype-free days. We’ve chosen a few (well, 12) of our favorite musical-guest quotes. See if you can
match the quote to the speaker. And remember, if you use the internets, it’s cheatin’!
01. “Thank you! And now, a man who’s a real po-thead… I’m sorry,
pot-head… Homer Simpson!”
02. “Hey guys, stand around me — I can’t go with Lenny watching.”
03. “I was about to quit the band when I saw your lighter. You saved me
04. “Hullabalooza isn’t about freaks; it’s about music, and advertisement,
and youth-oriented product positioning.”
05. “If I can’t have my spoons, I’d go insane!”
06. “Hey kid, why don’t you watch where you’re drumming!”
07. “You’re damn right I’m going to be pissed off; I bought that pig at
Pink Floyd’s yard sale!”
08. “We’ll start with the fundamentals: playing a burning guitar with
09. “Not while one of my fans needs me.”
10. “And no matter where you are, you always say ‘it’s the wildest town in
the whole damn world.'”
11. “Oh that’s very sweet. Have a grammy.”
12. “Now here’s the deal: I’m going to play, and you’re going to float
there and like it.”
Answers beneath the clickable pic of everyone that’s ever been in Springfield
Get them all?
1) Page McConnell (Phish)
2) Mike Mills (REM)
3) Kirk Hammett (Metallica)
4) Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth)
5) Adam Clayton (U2)
6) Jack White (White Stripes)
7) Peter Frampton
8) Brian Setzer
10) Mick Jagger
11) Elton John
12) James Taylor