The 5 Best Videos Of The Week
If you were some kind of underground artist making a video this week, it was hard to compete. A few big stars on big labels (or with big cable networks backing them) made videos so goofy and fun and entertaining that no indie type could afford to compete. And yet this week’s best video still came from a bunch of friends, working on a mixtape together, who put together a gloriously joyous homespun song-and-dance. It’s plenty elaborate, and it probably wasn’t cheap to make, but it still houses a whole lot of videos that probably cost a whole lot more. Check out this week’s picks below.
5. Snoop Dogg – “So Many Pros” (Dir. François Rousselet)
A celebration of some classic graphic design, and Snoop’s version of the between-the-movies trailers from Grindhouse. The presence of the other Snoop, the one from The Wire, boosts this one’s cool points by at least 25%.
4. Ty Dolla $ign – “Drop That Kitty” (Feat. Charli XCX & Tinashe) (Dir. Shomi Patwary)
It’s amazing how something as basic and easy as cheaply superimposed cat heads can turn a furiously generic video into something fun and frisky.
3. Bloody Beetroots – “The Grid” (Dir. James Chappell)
The best action-movie fight scenes I’ve seen lately are in this and on the Netflix show Daredevil, neither of which are actual movies.
2. Amy Schumer – “Milk Milk Lemonade” (Feat. Amber Rose & Method Man) (Dir. ?)
1. Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment – “Sunday Candy” (Feat. Chance The Rapper & Jamila Woods) (Dir. Austin Vesely)
What a ridiculous, beautiful hey-kids-let’s-put-on-a-show moment. I don’t think Chance has ever done anything better than this.