This week, we got our dumbest controversy in a while when YACHT pretended to be victims of sex-tape thievery just to promote their crappy music video, getting the entire internet mad at them in the process. Here’s a thought: If you really need attention that badly, make a good video. People do it all the time! It works! We’ve got five of them below.
5. Steve Gunn – “Ancient Jules” (Dir. Claes Nordwall)
The draw here is the bro-down between Gunn and prog-folk guitar legend Michael Chapman. But I love the sweeping shots of the English countryside, as seen by motorcycle, and the economic visual storytelling. This is a video with atmosphere, and we don’t get enough of those.
4. King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard – “People-Vultures” (Dir. Danny Cohen)
This video raises a good question: What if Alejandro Jodorowsky had directed some Power Rangers episodes?
3. Grimes – “California” (Dir. Grimes & Mac Boucher)
Again, we have to ask why the real world cannot look more like a Grimes video.
2. Kaytranada – “Lite Spots” (Dir. Martin C. Pariseau)
I can’t decide who looks like a better hang: Kaytranada or his adorable dancing pet robot. Both of them can move.
1. Radiohead – “Daydreaming” (Dir. Paul Thomas Anderson)
And just like that, Boogie Nights replaces Sexy Beast as the best movie directed by a guy who’s also made a Radiohead video.