As much as I always hated hated hated Dashboard Confessional, I’ll be dmaned if that Further Seems Forever album doesn’t knock it out of the park.
Jawbox and SDRE are the only bands some of these commenters feel it’s OK to admit to liking, but damn there were some great albums from this time.
Here’s my top 10 (not counting Jawbox and Weezer)
1. The Promise Ring – Nothing Feels Good
2. Cap’n Jazz – Burritos…
3. SDRE – How It Feels To Be Something On
4. Cursive – Domestica
5. American Football – American Football
6. Chamberlain – The Moon My Saddle
7. Jimmy Eat World – Clarity (it should be noted that Bleed American is great too – top notch pop songwriting)
8. Mock Orange – Nines & Sixes
9. The Get Up Kids – Something To Write Home About
10. Rainer Maria – Look Now Look Again
Everyone seems to forget that around the turn of the century, Pinkerton was seen as THE flagship emo album. Yes, even moreso than Diary.
Yeah, in terms of quality, HWM outstrips nearly every band here, but in terms of actually being emo…ehhhhh.
Well yes, The Decline is the best, but in terms of full albums, So Long… is their best.
OK, yes. The Decline is their best, but in terms of full albums, So Long… is their best album.
Yeah, with all this emo revival talk going on, how come I haven’t been seeing more talk of great bands like Chamberlain and Mock Orange. I mean, I’ve got Nothing Feels Good and Burritos…at the top of the heap where they belong, but The Moon My Saddle and Nines & Sixes are right up there.
HWM certainly fit into the melodic hardcore model, but I always saw them as emo-adjacent, but never quite emo. I don’t know, genres are funny.
Over the years, Stay What You Are has really held up as an elite piece of power pop songwriting.
I think in terms of shitstain awful Weezer songs, “Where’s My Sex?” is like a 5.