I wouldn’t dismiss their first two albums – as great as Teen Dream and Bloom are, a certain haunted, resigned quality was lost with the move towards fuller, more ornate production. Heart of Chambers and Home Again are probably still my two favourite Beach House songs, though Silver Soul would definitely round out the top three.
In pretty rough order:
1. Vampire Weekend – Modern Vampires of the City (and I didn’t even like Vampire Weekend that much before this!)
2. Youth Lagoon – Wondrous Bughouse
3. Kurt Vile – Wakin on a Pretty Daze
5. Daft Punk – Random Access Memories
6. Savages – Silence Yourself
7. Waxahatchee – Cerulean Salt
8. Autre ne Veut – Anxiety
9. The National – Trouble Will Find Me
10. Tegan and Sara – Heartthrob
Or, in fewer words: man, this really is turning out to be one great year for music.
Finally, some well-deserved year-end recognition for those two awesome Mount Eerie albums.