Duh Aficionado magazine got SCOOPED this morning, by an article in the LA Times headlined Gender inequality still has a starring role in Hollywood, USC study finds. Oh man, OF COURSE IT DOES! We should have been all over this one, and we apologize to our (male) readers for dropping the ball. Here are the most important and most obvious findings:
The USC study determined that women were still far more likely than men to wear sexy clothing in movies, such as swimwear and unbuttoned shirts (25.8% versus 4.7%), to expose skin (23% versus 7.4%) and to be described by another character as attractive (10.9% versus 2.5%).
Revealing clothing and partial nudity was just as prevalent among 13- to 20-year-old female characters as it was among those 21 to 29, suggesting that females are sexualized on-screen at young ages, Smith said.
Behind the camera, the gender inequality is just as dramatic: only 3.6% of the directors and 13.5% of the writers on the top-grossing films of 2009 were female, according to the study.
Yup. That sounds about right. Although I’m surprised this article/study didn’t at least point out the counter-argument, which is didn’t you ladies get Bridesmaids this year? How many movies do you NEED?! LOLOLOL. JK, ladies. You’re beautiful. Do you have a sister? In an effort to remind the Duh Industry that Duh Aficionado is still the premiere resource for breaking the obvious stories, we are going to issue our own scientific research in the following days covering other Hollywood trends that may or may not be based in actual reality*. Here is a short list:
- Cellphones are useless.
- Children are smart.
- Gay people are either sassy or miserable.
- Aliens need our energy.
- Mild racism is still OK if it’s aimed at Hispanics and Asians.
- New York City is just waiting for someone from the outside to bust it wide open.
- Serial Killers love costumes.
- The President has a book of secrets.
- Gremlins can’t eat after midnight.
- People like anything with gladiators in it.
- Magazine editors are glamorous and important.
- When a cop doesn’t play by the rules it’s a good thing.
- Ryan Reynolds is compelling.
- Diarrhea is always hilarious.
- Everything should be rebooted.
- A million dollars is the same thing as zero dollars
- 22 years old is old.
We will continue to follow these and other stories. We ARE Duh Aficionado magazine.