And so it ends. 2009. 2008. 2007. 2006. 2005. 2004. 2003. 2002. 2001. 2000. They’re all gone now. R.I.P, those years. What a Toad’s wild ride it has been. So many ups and downs! Just kidding. I mean, I guess a lot has happened, and the world is really different now, because it has changed, which is why you can feel it in the water, but the truth is that all I can think about right now is the dinner that I am going to eat tomorrow night and the champagne that I am going to drink. You know what I mean? Like, who has time to walk down memory lane? Besides, where we are going we don’t need roads. (I’m sure that it would be possible to make this paragraph more obtuse and unreadable, but I still think I did a pretty good [bad] job.)
The point is, we finally have the official results of the scientifically valid and infallible poll for the Catchphrase of the Decade. This is the catchphrase you’ll be telling your hover-grandchildren about! Find out the one thing that we’ve been most obnoxiously repeating over all the other things we were obnoxiously repeating for the past 10 years, after the jump.
- “Very niiice!” – Borat 20% (815 votes)
- “Shit just got real.” – Bad Boys II 19% (769 votes)
- “I. Drink. Your. Milkshake!” – There Will Be Blood 13% (532 votes)
- “Why so serious?” – The Dark Knight 11% (425 votes)
- “I wish I knew how to quit you” – Brokeback Mountain 10% (395 votes)
- “I have had it with these motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking plane!” – Snakes on a Plane 8% (319 votes)
- “This is SPARTAAAAA!” – 300 7% (274 votes)
- “Are you not entertained?” – Gladiator 4% (156 votes)
- “King Kong ain’t got shit on me!” – Training Day 3% (105 votes)
- “With great power comes great responsibility.” – Spider-Man 2% (98 votes)
- “Wilson!” – Castaway 2% (75 votes)
- “So it begins.” – Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 1% (45 votes)
- “Get me Bourne.” – The Bourne Ultimatum 1% (28 votes)
Total Votes: 4,036.
So Borat wins. “Success!”, right, you guys? I don’t know, I don’t actually think the decade was “very niiiiice” so I have mixed feelings about the winner. I feel like the decade was much more about drinking other people’s milkshakes (which is a metaphor for beating them to death in the face with bowling pins) or wishing that we could all just quit it. And I definitely was rooting for the second place winner to make a first place finish, because THAT would have been a catchphrase for the ages:
Hella Dramatic Slow Camera Shit, indeed. But winners are winners and losers are losers. And you can’t argue with SCIENCE. Congratulations, Borat catchphrase. You are the catchphrase of the decade.