Billy Corgan Relays His Vision For TNA Impact Wrestling

Billy Corgan, recent reluctant Disneyland attendant and Nantucket Project presenter, is also the president and “creative voice” of TNA (Total Nonstop Action) Impact Wrestling, the second largest wrestling company behind WWE. ESPN put out an in-depth look into Corgan’s role there, saying he spends about 80 percent of his time working on wrestling-related endeavors, the other 20 percent presumably recording his upcoming solo album.

Corgan has a history with professional wrestling. He created his own wrestling company, Resistance Pro Wrestling, in 2011, and has been working for TNA Impact Wrestling since last summer, giving the show a new theme song. He talked to ESPN about the balance between his two worlds, his style of creative direction, and more. Here are some highlights:

“People have a very myopic view of what a rock star is. My version of rock star has always been I’m going to do what I want to do however I want to do it. Whether it’s having my own tea house, the charitable work that I’ve done, to pursuing a life or a career in professional wrestling—I think this is the American dream.”

“I think people want to be engaged, and when they are engaged, they want something to never end. When you think of the classic feuds, you really don’t want them to end.”

“So maybe like super hero movies, we get the Hardys as the center of the universe and start to use them to sort of branch off in other directions. We are making it up as we go along and that is sort of the fun part. It’s really exciting because we are hopefully writing a sort of new golden dawn in terms of how wrestling can be presented on television, and I think that’s fantastic.”

Read the rest at ESPN.