A wise man once said, “Comments are the lifeblood of a blog.” And another wise man replied, “FIRST!!1.” Here at Stereogum.com, Amrit, Brandon and I spend most of the day deleting spam, but we also find time to read each and every reader comment. We delight in the clever ones and cry over the mean ones. So much crying around here. Sometimes the subjects of our posts (see Fleet Foxes, Death Cab, Band Or Horses) even drop by. And sometimes we’re visited by the Web Sheriff!
Earlier this year we installed community tools, like user profiles that let you pick a unique display name and icon with which to comment across Stereogum and Videogum. We also introduced little arrows to score comments up or down, allowing you to collectively rate everyone’s opinions. Yesterday we looked at the most discussed posts of the year. Below you’ll find lists of the ten most popular and unpopular Stereogum comments in 2008. The top ranked comment is from me? You guys need to try harder.
HIGHEST SCORED COMMENTS
10. white people make a list about rap music, then other white people complain about it
Posted by: dan at 09/29/08 10:59 AM
in response to VH1’s 100 Greatest Hip-Hop Songs
Score = 45
09. “sued by remaining fan”
Considering the amount of absolute garbage this site promotes/advertises for, I don’t think Stereogum should be allowed to make judgment calls or take clever stabs at bands. Stereogum, please stick to the recycling of press releases that you do so well.
Posted by: Matthew Wilder at 10/28/08 1:39 PM
in response to Hives Sued By Remaining Fan
Score = 46
08. I hope my boss doesn’t find out that this is all I did the last two days. Anyways, here’s Pitchfork’s Best 100 Tracks of 2008:
Posted by: monster at 12/16/08 4:53 PM
in response to Pitchfork’s Top 100 Tracks Of 2008
Score = 47
07. Thoughts that ran through my head while reading Michael’s comment:
1) This guy suffers from a serious sense of entitlement.
2) Grow the fuck up.
Posted by: Rev. AlexG at 11/10/08 8:33 PM
in response to Michael’s response to Stereogum x Amazon MP3 Friendly Deals #1: Guided By Voices’ Bee Thousand
Score = 48
06. the dub remix of ‘Take Your Dick Out Of My Ass And Stick It In My Mouth’ is pretty fucking good, so billy was actually spot on about that.
Posted by: zap at 11/10/08 7:20 PM
in response to Billy Corgan Invites Heckler Onstage To Ridicule Him
Score = 51
04. David Byrne & Brian Eno at 42…Jonas Brothers at 40….yup, sounds about in line with my cancelling my RS subscription 3 years ago.
Posted by: adam at 12/10/08 2:02 PM
in response to Rolling Stone’s Top 50 Albums Of 2008
Score = 53
02. George Bush does not care about Black Kids.
Posted by: southtownsurprise at 07/25/08 12:49 PM
in response to It Just So Happens That Black Kids Think Pugs Are Awesome
Score = 68
LOWEST SCORED COMMENTS
10. fuck you andrew and jack de young listen to your sigur ros bullshit and think your so great and conscious of the world ..faggot!
Posted by: dna at 06/15/08 6:08 PM
in response to comments on Bonnaroo: The Sun Exposes Kanye’s Glow In The Dark Show
Score = -74
08. What he hell does “finna” mean? This negro needs to go fuck himself. I’ll tell you something else too: I was secretly happy when his mother died.
Posted by: Larry Dickman at 05/30/08 4:44 PM
in response to Kanye Didn’t Intend To Hit Us With Three “Flashing Lights” Videos
Score = -87
07. let me be the first to say this lists suck and anyone who agrees with even one choice on this list is a stupid idiot who deserves to rot in hell and listen to relaxation of the asshole for most of eternity. this list is so bad i want to vomit. obviously the best album to 2k8 was third by fleet fox parade and i don’t see it on either or this lists. that or malkmus and the pixies you’re living all over my daydream nation. whoever reads either of these magazines is so stupid that i hate them
Posted by: mad in milwakee at 11/26/08 3:06 PM
in response to Uncut’s Top 50 & Mojo’s Top 50 of 2008
Score = -88
05. The thoughts that ran through my head while reading this post:
1) WTF. When did Stereogum try to make money so blatantly off its readers? A banner ad could have sufficed…
2) “How many heated comments will this posting get…”
3) “Margaret”s comment score is so going to be in the red…
4) $3.99 isn’t too bad price if they need to play by the rules…
5) This post would have been much cooler if they just linked us to SoulSeek, told us how to install it and what they used as a search query to download the album for free.
Posted by: Michael at 11/10/08 8:19 PM
in response to Stereogum x Amazon MP3 Friendly Deals #1: Guided By Voices’ Bee Thousand
Score = -104
04. Your review is pure shit, especially the last line. Maybe thats why I’ve never heard of you guys. Hope your advertising revenue drops and you have to clean toilets to keep the site going.
Posted by: shiva at 06/06/08 11:51 PM
in response to Premature Evaluation: Coldplay – Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends
Score = -106
03. Wow, that list is bad, bad, bad. Very pretentious. Vampire Weekend’s M79 over the sheer pop confection A Punk? If you want real music to listen to and not just bands that will make you sound cool check out:
Posted by: Kip at 12/16/08 2:50 PM
in response to Pitchfork’s Top 100 Tracks Of 2008
Score = -107
Thanks for the lulz everybody. Have a fun drinking, dancing, bubbling tonight. We’ll see ya next year.