At the Hollywood Bowl last night, Coldplay revived their acoustic, piano-led cover of “(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party!)” in memory of Adam “MCA” Yauch, who passed away yesterday. Watch and download the MP3 below.
- Coldplay – “(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party!)”Download
Other tributes to MCA…
- In Newark the Red Hot Chili Peppers dedicated their sold-out show to MCA and closed their set by playing “Fight For Your Right” on the loudspeakers, according to Rolling Stone. They also played an instrumental bit of “So What’cha Want”; watch that below.
- On last night’s Late Night, Jimmy Fallon paid tribute to the rapper with a statement (“He was a huge influence on me and millions of people around the world … a great performer, director, father, humanitarian and New Yorker”) before showing a clip of the Beastie Boys’ 2009 performance on the show. Throughout the episode, the Roots performed Beasties covers — e.g., “Sure Shot,” (4m16s) “Remote Control” (24m58s), “Sabotage” (41m55s) — in between acts. Watch the show below.
- Here’s Thom Yorke’s tribute posted on radiohead.com:
I was very sad to hear the news of Adam Yauch’s death yesterday. We looked up to the Beastie Boys a lot when we were starting out and how they maintained artistic control making wicked records but still were on a major label, and the Tibetan Freedom Concerts they organized had a very big influence on me personally and the way Adam conducted himself and dealt with it all impressed me a lot. He was a mellow and v smart guy. May he rest in peace.
- Also worth mentioning: the Mets all chose Beastie Boys songs for their walk-up music last night. You can check the pairings here
We’ll post more tributes in this space as they come in.