Looking for a little insight into Icky Thump’s tracklist? This ougtha help you not at all. Jack and Meg have posted some typically cryptic elaboration on each track title at whitestripes.com/puzzle. Read on for a headache:
1. “Icky Thump” – Well, you can’t be a pimp and a prostitute too.
2. “You Don’t Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You’re Told)” – In some respects I suspect you’ve got a respectable side.
3. “300 M.P.H Torrential Outpour Blues” – Sooner or later the ground’s gonna be holding all of my ashes too.
4. “Conquest” – The hunted became the huntress, the hunter became the prey.
5. “Bone Broken” – They got a white pony in a stable and ride him when the doggie isn’t able.
6. “Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn” – The silver birches pierce through an icy fog which covers the ground most daily.
7. “St. Andrew (This Battle Is In The Air)” – I’m looking upwards, who is here to greet me?
8. “Little Cream Soda” – Well, every highway that I go down seems to be longer than the last one that I knew about, oh well.
9. “Rag And Bone” – Bring out your junk and we’ll give it a home.
10. “I’m Slowly Turning Into You” – I dig your little laugh and I’m loving your quick wit.
11. “A Martyr For My Love For You” – Maybe these ruby shoes are a little cumbersome for you.
12. “Catch Hell Blues” – If you’re looking for hot water, don’t be shocked when you get burned a little bit.
13. “Effect And Cause” – First you cause a train wreck, then you put me in traction?
If that’s not puzzling enough, check the crossword they added for visual accompaniment.
Probably not even worth asking but … anybody got a guess? (Click to enlarge.) No official word on release date yet, but The White Stripes do have five shows scheduled — all festivals, four in Europe. Check ‘em:
06/01 – Nurburgring, Germany (Rock Am Ring Festival)
06/02 – Nurnberg, German (Rock Am Ring Festival)
06/17 – London, UK (O2 Festival)
06/15 – Leeds, UK (02 Festival)
06/17 – Manchester, TN (Bonnaroo)